$5 MILLION INTERACTIVE GREAT BARRIER REEF EXHIBIT FOR SYDNEY AQUARIUM
Day and Night on the Reef is an innovative state-of-the-art, totally immersive experience that Evolve have proudly accomplished for Sea Life Sydney Aquarium, under the oversight of Linked Project Management.
This highly specialised project was executed over 7 months, with coordination of multiple stakeholders and experts, including key overseas contractors from the US, UK, Philippines and HK.
The tank was redesigned to feature sea turtles among hundreds of sea creatures while the exhibit journeys through several distinct time zones of the iconic Great Barrier Reef.
Fast-tracked programming factored in removal of all marine life through to re-commissioning of the 1.4 million L tank and interactive exhibit to fit in with a firm launch date.
This extensive oceanarium project encompasses review of materials for salt water environment plus:
- Strip-out of existing ocean tank, waterproofing and theming
- Structural review of tank with re-waterproofing and structural repairs
- New theming eg concrete and rubber corals designed to be fish-safe
- All new filtration and pump systems installed
- Construction of animal holding platform
- Installation of specialist lighting and controls
- Sea water fill from Darling Harbour, water conditioning phase and leak testing
GREAT BARRIER REEF EXHIBIT
- Demolition of existing exhibit, touch tanks, removal of all flooring and redundant services
- Full stripout of existing life support systems. Refurbishment of plant room for main turtle tank and new plant room for new jellyfish exhibit
- Installation of partitions, raised flooring and modified services to new layout
- New jellyfish tanks and themed flooring
- Rough-in & fit-off of specialist lighting, projectors, touch screen TVs and audio as part of interactive exhibits / projections: Bioluminescent beach, Coral spawning, Turtle mound and Turtle homecoming
- Coordination of all new theming such as 3D coral reefs, a giant wave and entry underneath a jetty.
Evolve played a key role in ensuring program delays due to unforeseen changes were minimised and problem solved crucial elements that impacted design, logistics and program. The team were also heavily involved in the design and development of the star constellation over the bioluminescent beach.
Merlin Entertainments Group
Darling Harbour, NSW